10.02.2006

one hour to departure...the real one

The last 36 hours have been incredible: flying into San Francisco, meeting everyone else (200 others!), orientation information. Now we're in the airport, waiting to board the plane which will take us to Tokyo, Japan, to the Narita airport. A 12 hour journey, which shoots us into tomorrow...it's 12:37 according to my computer, and we're due to land at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon, local time.

Reflections so far: it's going to take some work to make connections between this and my kids. Must be creative with this one. Lots of people can do direct instruction or create projects around their experiences: for me those won't work. My kids have their own curricula. It must be more about modeling, sharing my learning with them and then encouraging them to find ways of making things happen for themselves. Perhaps by taking the fullest advantage of this opportunity possible, I can show my students how to do the same in their own lives.

Took a bunch of photos this morning...finally got a few of them uploaded to my flickr page. Still am not sure how the technology piece is going to work. I also want to create more in my blog...go beyond my thoughts, begin to tell a story. Perhaps I can find a way to do that...

I must say that I am impressed with the quality, intelligence, and passion of the other educators here. There are some really fantastic people; I must remember to accept them and to be open to meeting new people - now always my strongest trait. Must work on that.

My host family in Arao: parents are in their 40's, and they have two sons, 8 and 13. No pets unfortunately (but I may have put down that I'm allergic). I'm really excited about that part - people in the past seem to have had an exceptionally good time with their host families.

And considering my free day...I am thinking of exploring Tokyo, independently. I will have lots and lots of time to be social...this may be the ideal time to take a break for social and go explore on my own, or with perhaps one other person. We'll see once that time gets closer.

Figured out how to use my new SB-600 as a remote flash, controlled by the on-camera flash on the D200. Very excited about that. Check for the blue flower on flickr...I think the lighting is great on that...the SB-600 was about 80 degrees to the left of the camera.

Boarding...peace.

Kippu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home